My Photo
Name:
Location: Bangalore, KA, India

everything is transient including what i think i know about myself ...

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

HIREBHASKARA DAM

The original name of this place is said to be 'Hirebachagaru' and if you try & do a web search for it, nothing will come up. It has been taken over by Hirebhaskara.

Should we thank our stars that something at least comes up against this name?! Well, I say so because this itself is a part of history, remaining submerged in the Sharavathi backwaters upstream of Linganamakki.

I would only like to share with you that visiting this place was akin to visiting Hampi, at least to me! Hampi is vast and a lot older as compared to this one, which is hardly 70 years ago!


Just look at the only photographs that I have PERSONALLY taken, in relation to Hirebhaskara..... I have others which were taken during our visit but not by me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bhushan said...

Two things. One, during a recent conversation it was revealed to me that Hirebachagaru village was said to exist - or still exists - very close to what we call the 'Matthuga' resort. (Matthuga itself was one of the villages that got submerged when Linganamakki came up, so the present location of the Matthuga resort is at Talavata village). In this manner, it beats one's logic & imagination why the dam was so called when Hirebachagaru is quite distant & off the line from the dam location as compared to say, Sagar Town.

Two, the photographs are of an earthen pot whose broken upper part was picked up by me at the site. My companions joked that I was treating it like a relic from Harappa-Mohenjadaro, that is when the historical angle hit me. This is probably around 50 years old, though.

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Sudoku from SudokuPuzz.com